There’s a lot that goes into maintaining a healthy bird, perhaps the one of the most important is their feather health. In nature, birds will bathe often, utilizing the rain, puddles, dew and rain collected off of vegetation, lakes and streams. It’s essential for birds to have healthy feathers and the environment in most homes is far different from the wilderness. Typically, homes will have a much drier environment and thus, your bird is already at a disadvantage for optimum feather health. This is because the dry air from heating units and air conditioners strip moisture from the air that, in the wild, a bird would find abundantly.
It’s important to remember that all birds are different and will want to bathe less or more, at different times and will prefer different methods. Birds love water, so it shouldn’t be too hard to find a bath time and method your beloved bird prefers.
How to Bathe Your BirdThere are many options for bathing your bird that are effective and fun. For example, smaller birds offering a cage mounted bird bath area is an ideal option, while larger birds should be bathed outside of the cage. Here are some preferred ideas for bird baths.
- Use a shallow bowl. This is popular for smaller birds and any dish, bowl or small tub should never be filled higher than the height of your bird!
- A mister. Using a wide spray mister will stimulate rain and chances are your bird will love it! King’s Cages has avian safe and economical bird sprays that are made for all types of birds. https://kingscages.com/?term=&s=bath+spray&post_type=product&taxonomy=product_cat
- Perches. Perches are great to use when misting your bird or mount it in your shower. If you decide to do a bird shower you must make sure that there is not a lot of pressure. Birds need a gentle spray, a full shower spray will scare them and could physically harm them.
- Make sure the area is not drafty or too cold.
- Ensure your pet has a warm and dry place to dry off and preen.
- Do not use soap on your pet bird. King’s Cages carries only the best bird shampoos! Made from avian safe and all natural ingredients, our shampoos will keep your beloved buddies feathers shiny, healthy and mite free. https://kingscages.com/?term=&s=bird+shampoo&post_type=product&taxonomy=product_cat
- Always clean up any wet areas and make sure the bird dishes are kept clean and are bacteria free.
- If you use the sink as a bird bath rinse out any residue from soaps or cleaners, as they pose a health risk.